Monday, November 5, 2012

Developing a personal GAME Plan

-->
             Effective teachers do not only set goals for their students, but they set goals for themselves.  After reviewing the National Education Standards for Teachers, I was able to reflect as a professional and determine what I already do well and what I need to work on.  Two indicators that I would like to work on, as an educator would be: “model collaborative knowledge construction by engaging in learning with students, colleagues, and others in face-to-face and virtual environments” and “promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).
           
            In order to strengthen my confidence and proficiency in these two areas, I have set goals for myself.  My first goal is to work collaboratively with my students and colleagues in face-to-face and virtual environments.  My second goal is to demonstrate and encourage proper digital etiquette in virtual environments.

            In order to achieve these goals, I have set up a plan for myself.  In order to become fluent in proper digital etiquette, I would like to begin by finding an article or tutorial on the topic.  I feel like I know some etiquette, but I would like to be clear on what is acceptable.  Then, I plan on typing up a cheat sheet for students and colleagues of digital etiquette.  Then, I plan on modeling digital etiquette through e-mail, blogging, our class wiki, and my teaching website.  Then, I would like my students to practice digital etiquette on their blogs and wiki. 

I have also set up a plan for working collaboratively with students and colleagues.  I feel like I can work collaboratively with colleagues in a face-to-face environment, but I want to work on collaborating with colleagues in a virtual environment.  In addition, I want to work collaboratively with students in both a face-to-face and virtual environment.  First, I would like to find a blog or article that describes how colleagues can collaborate online.  Then, I would like to find out more how I can collaborate with my students.  I feel like my students collaborate with each other, but I do not collaborate with them as much.  Then, I also want to ask my Walden colleagues for collaboration suggestions.  I would like to try using Google Docs or a wiki to collaborate with colleagues.  I also would like to try working on a project with my students instead of them just doing a project.

            I will also monitor my progress to make sure that I am on target to achieve my goals.  I will make sure I find at least one resource for each goal.  Then, I will make sure that I try one new way to collaborate with my colleagues and students online.  I will also make sure that I type the digital etiquette cheat sheet by next week and share it with my students.  If needed, I will modify my learning strategy to meet my learning goals (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009).  Throughout this process, I will use a journal as a source of professional reflection.

            In addition, I will evaluate and extend my learning.  I will evaluate if I met my learning goals by reflecting on the process.  If I did not meet my learning goals, I will modify my goals or learning strategies.  I will also reflect upon what I would do differently in the future.  I look forward to this experience and welcome any feedback!
References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage  Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards   for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

6 comments:

  1. Christie,
    I like the goal that you set for yourself for working collaboratively with your students and your colleagues in face-to-face and virtual environments. I like your plan of action that you plan to take to achieve your goal. In order to learn how to work collaboratively, you have to put yourself in that type of environment. I think that blogs are a great way to gain information and ideas from other people, so I liked how you mentioned that in your blog as a way to gain information on your goal. Google docs has always interested me, and I used it for my own use, but never for collaborating. You will have to let me know how it works out for you. Lastly, you have a good monitoring system in place for your goals. Once you do some more searching, I am sure you will find many ways to collaborate. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,

      Thank you for your response! Have you used blogging outside of Walden? I have only used blogging with my students, not for collaborating with teachers in my school yet.

      I tried using google docs with my co-teacher. We both have GMail accounts. I created a letter to send home to parents and shared it with her. Then, she was able to make corrections as needed. I prefer typing in different colors so I can tell what she added and what I added. I did not get a notification when she had read and added to the Google Doc. I wonder if there is a setting that I could change so that I get an e-mail when the document has been edited. I'll have to look into that!

      Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

      Christie Gauer

      Delete
  2. Christie,

    I like your plan to model digital etiquette for your students. They really do not know what proper etiquette is for emailing, blogging, or using a wiki, until we show them. Your students are a few years older than mine, so I think it is a good time for them to practice this etiquette on classroom blogs and wikis. Your idea to set type up a digital etiquette cheat sheet is brilliant. That way they can keep referring back to it, to see if they are on track. I will soon be modeling for my students proper etiquette for emailing, but I have not attempted a classroom blog or wiki with my 7 year olds.

    Google Docs is such a great tool. I recently used it to have my parents sign-up for a parent/teacher conference time. It is amazing how easy it is to use for collaborating. My parents could pull up the link on their iPhone, type their name by a time slot, and then every other parent in my class could see what times were still available. This saved so much time and effort in trying to arrange a time to meet. I have not used Google Docs with my young students, but I think it would be an awesome way for you to collaborate with your 5th grade students. I hope someday to be able to teach 4th, 5th, or 6th grade so I can feel comfortable using Google Docs and other collaborating tools with my students.

    Your blog is well written, and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for your post.

    Janet Bissett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,

      Thanks for your response. What types of etiquette will you discuss when teaching about e-mailing?

      I have tried Google Docs with my co-teacher. I created a document and then she was able to edit it. I wish there was a way to be notified when the changes occurred. We have been using different colors and e-mailing or texting each other once it has been edited.

      What a great idea to use Google Docs for conference times. Did all of the parents have a GMail address? Were the parents cooperative in using this technique to schedule conferences?

      Thanks for the comment!

      Christie Gauer

      Delete
  3. You have set two great goals for yourself. I really feel our students need to have direct instruction on digital etiquette but like you, I need to research this before I'll feel comfortable enough to teach my students. I know some rules, and I'm sure I do others without thinking about them, but I would want to research this area so I don't miss anything and so I can find or create a handout or reference for my students to refer to as they work towards mastering these skills.

    I feel collaborating online can facilitate the collaboration experience at times when individuals have conflicting schedules, however, I have not yet found a way to do this successfully. As part of my Action Research I am trying to find ways to incorporate real-life math activities into my classroom. I have emailed numerous colleagues and former classmates, I have posted links on my blog asking for assistance, I have tried talking to others in person, but still have not gotten more than 3 responses since July. :( Maybe I need to find another form of communication.

    Are you planning on collaborating with a specific individual or are you wanting to collaborate with a number of individuals? Will you set up a time frame for responses? I know that having a deadline with our Walden work really seems to help me set aside time to respond to others, and without this, I probably wouldn't take the time to read as many posts and to respond.

    I like the idea of using virtual environments to communicate with students. This could be especially beneficial for those longer projects that ask students to reflect at the end. By using Edmodo, blogging, or something similar you create a digital script of sorts that is easy to go back, look over, and remember the conversations that were held and the learning that occurred during the process.

    I tried to use Google Docs this year with my 5th graders but had no luck. I'm not totally sure what went wrong, but I'm assuming it had to do with our particular network. Our students don't have gmail accounts but they do have school email (but they didn't know this). We tried to create student accounts but we had to keep switching networks to access Google, and then to access the student email to verify....and then nothing worked for us. As a result, we scrapped this portion of the project. It took 55 minutes just to get one student in and the tech dept, who I had been asking about this for months had no suggestions for us. I would love to find a way to use Google Docs in the future, or a similar application. I feel the benefits could outweigh the challenges if we ever figure out how to overcome them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy,

      Thanks for your response. I want to first collaborate with my co-teacher using Google Docs and then my grade level. I have tried it with my co-teacher and it worked great. The only downfall is that I did not get a notification when she edited the document. I also couldn't "Track changes" like a wiki. I will have to check the settings and see if there is a way to change those settings.

      Last year, I had each of my GT Language Arts students create a GMail account for Blogger. At the time, I didn't even realize that they could have been using Google Docs for their research projects. This would have allowed them to work on them at home and at school because their notes would be saved and shared with their partners. I'll have to try that this year!

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Christie Gauer

      Delete