Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cognitive learning theory and technology

Learning theory, instruction, and technology are all integral parts of teaching.  They are interrelated and should be studied and implemented together as three working parts of a whole.  One learning theory, known as the the cognitive approach, can incorporate technology and enhance instruction.

A variety of technology tools can be used with the cognitive approach.  Summarizing, note taking, cues, questions, advanced organizers, concept maps, and virtual field trips can all incorporate technology using the cognitive learning theory.  Cognitive learning theory includes four main parts: sensory input of information, short term memory, rehearsal, and long term memory (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  Cognitive tools help gather information, present information, organize information, and integrate knowledge by evaluating and synthesizing (Novak & Cañas, 2008).  These technology learning tools help students do all of the aforementioned.

One technology learning tool that supports the cognitive learning theory is concept mapping.  “Concept maps are graphical tools for organizing and representing knowledge” (Novak & Cañas, 2008, para.1).  Concept maps allow students to make connections and build a network within their memory (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  It also helps students elaborate on ideas to strengthen their understanding (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  Lastly, concept mapping supports dual coding by using images and helping students to visualize ideas (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  Concept mapping would help me teach for understanding.  I would be able to post an essential question to address the big idea of a lesson.  Then, students would be focused on answering that question by creating a concept map.  Therefore, my students and I are both focused on gaining student understanding.  As a whole, my students are more of visual and kinesthetic learners, therefore having them create concept maps would meet their learning needs.

Another instructional strategy that could help students with understanding is summarizing.  I consider myself to be technology savvy; however I learned so much more about Microsoft Word this week.  Once students have read a passage, they can simply summarize what was read.  However, there are unique tools to help them do so right in Microsoft Word.  First, the teacher can model how to take a typed passage and summarize it by using the track changes feature.  Then, the teacher can also show the students how the computer summarizes the passage by using the auto summarize tool.  Students can compare their own summary to the summary done by the auto summarize tool.  Using Microsoft Word to help students with summarizing is an easy tool that can help students understand and remember information.  (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  

The possibilities are endless of how technology can support the cognitive learning theory and instruction.  I will admit many of these tools were new to me, but will be very helpful when teaching my students new concepts.  I look forward to teaching them new strategies using new tools to improve their learning and understanding.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program five: Cognitive learning theory [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1


Novak, J. D., & Cañas, A. J. (2008). The theory underlying concept maps and how to construct and use them, Technical Report IHMC CmapTools 2006-01 Rev 01-2008. Retrieved from the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition Web site: http://cmap.ihmc.us/Publications/ResearchPapers/
TheoryUnderlyingConceptMaps.pdf

Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology.        Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is also interesting that summarizing tools can be used via Microsoft Word. One question I have is about a piece of information in our Learning Resources this week. In the book, Using Technology in the Classroom Instruction that Works (Pitler, et al., 2007, pg. 123), it stated that highlighting is a useful tool to take notes and focus on important information. I agree with this; However, wouldn't we have to copy the whole assignment into a word document? Do they mean to use this technology tool for practicing summarizing? What was your take on this reading selection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize. I forgot to site my reference:

    Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with
    classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacquelyn,

    Thank you for your response. Yes, it does say to copy the assignment into a Word Document. I probably wouldn't use this as an everyday teaching tool, but it would be useful to demonstrate to students. It would also be another resource for students who have difficulty summarizing. I use the highlight tool in Word documents when I want to point out important phrases or key ideas. What strategies or tools did you research this week that you thought would be helpful? Have you tried any of them? I look forward to hearing back from you.

    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christie,
    I also found the information on Summarizing by using Microsoft Word interesting, but more for my use in this Masters class. I am constantly taking notes on what I have read, and those notes are by hand (old school). However, I think our 3rd to 6th grade students at my school could use this tool. I have not tried the auto summarizing tool yet, have you?
    Janet Bissett

    ReplyDelete