Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Constructionism

Constructionism is a learning theory in which people learn from building an artifact or creating something to share (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  This theory focuses on the individual as a learner and how they construct meaning (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).  Students create something, which is engaging and motivating for them (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). 

Many different instructional strategies can be used to suit this theory of learning.  One example, problem-based learning can be used to address the qualities of the constructionist learning theory.  Problem based learning is more effective than traditional teaching because students have the opportunity to apply the skills and knowledge that they have learned (Orey, 2001).  Students research about real issues that they can relate to (Orey, 2001).  This makes the learning more meaningful and relevant.  Students choose how to present their information to the class (Orey, 2001).  This motivates the student by allowing them to have choice.  Therefore the teacher’s role becomes a facilitator and the students’ role is to problem solve and develop a solution to present (Orey, 2001).

Problem-based learning coincides with the constructionist learning theory in many ways.  For instance, students are gaining meaning by constructing something.  Students can investigate a problem and devise a solution.  Then they can present their findings by creating a brochure, booklet, pamphlet, website, diagram, Powerpoint, or any other form of presentation.

I actually just started a problem-based learning activity with my fourth grade gifted and talented students.  Students have already gotten together in groups and compromised on a real-world problem that they are interested in researching about.  Now students are looking up more information about the topic using the Internet.  Next, students will work together in their groups to problem solve and come up with a solution or solutions to their problem.  Then, students will create a website to share their information.  Students will present their information to the class using their website.  This project is an example of problem-based learning that addresses the constructionist learning theory.

It is difficult to schedule time to work on this project with the end of the year trips, programs, and concerts, but we are managing to make time for it.  I am excited to continue working on this project with my students, so that they can present it before the school year ends.  They are all eager to collaborate and construct a solution and a website regarding their real-world problem.  I have a feeling that this will be a memorable experience for them and that they will truly gain understanding and be able to apply their knowledge and skills by doing this project.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program seven: Constructionist and constructivist learning theories [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page

4 comments:

  1. Christie,

    That is wonderful that you started to implement problem-based learning into your lessons. I am curious what some of the topics your students chose to work with for their real-world problem. Would you mind sharing?

    I know it is difficult to keep students engaged at the end of the year, especially with the many interruptions you described. One suggestion to keep yourself and the students focused is it maybe write your ultimate and mini-goals together at the beginning of class. Let them know how proud you will be and, more importantly, how proud THEY will be of themselves when they see their final product!!

    Jackie Caliente

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie,

      Thank you for your response! I have a couple different groups working on this problem-based learning activity. The topics include pollution, economic struggles, endangered species, and a few others.

      I like your suggestion of writing ultimate and mini goals down together. The students I have are so motivated. As soon as they come in they are ready to work without me even saying anything!

      Thanks for the idea! Have you tried any problem based learning in your classes?

      Christie

      Delete
  2. Christie,
    I think the end of the school year is the best time to incorporate memorable experiences, like the project you are doing with your gifted student on a real-world problem. We have field trips and various school activities that take up many hours in the last couple of weeks of school (just like you), but I just make the projects a priority. It has become so much of a tradition in my classroom, that even parents of children that are not in my classroom have noticed and made favorable comments about what I do. So, like the Nike ad say, "Just Do It!".

    This coming week I am launching our classroom trial of "The Three Little Pigs Vs. The Big Bad Wolf". I will be the facilitator, and of course making sure that everyone understands their role in the trial. It will be interesting to watch my students emerge as leaders and collaborators. We are all looking forward to the process. I wonder what the final verdict will be from our jury?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,

      Thanks for your feedback! Yes, I think the students enjoy working on a project like this at the end of the year. It is a great activity for them after our standardized testing is over, as well. Time is definitely a challenge for me because I only meet with these students three times a week for a half hour. Last week, due to programs, concerts, and field trips, I did not see them any of the three days. Therefore, I was able to switch with the Gifted and Talented math teacher and have the students on Thursday. We are squeezing in this project the best that we can! I will show them how to create the website this coming week!

      Wow! What a neat activity! I can't wait to hear how your Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf trial goes! Keep me posted!

      Christie

      Delete